With our Documents page, you can share resources including PDF, Word & Excel documents, external links (such as your website or google docs), and Rich Text content you create with Yapp. In addition, you can group these resources by Folders.
To summarize, here are the resources you can add to a Documents page:
- Documents: PDFs, Word docs, and Excel Spreadsheets
- Links: URLs such as your website, intranet, Google or Teams Drive
- Rich Text: Your own content page created in Yapp
- Folders: Group together or categorize related content
How to create a Documents or resources page
It's easy to add a documents or resources page. Simply scroll down to the bottom of your app's left-hand navigation menu in our web Editor. Then click "Add a Page" and select the "Documents" page type. Next, click the "Settings" icon to name your page.
Adding documents, links, and rich text content
There are three types of documents that you can upload from your local computer or shared drive: PDFs, Word docs, and Excel spreadsheets. Below we'll show you how to add, edit, and share all of your documents and other resources.
Uploading PDF documents
You can upload documents, such as presentation slides, as a PDF which is recommended over Word docs for the best experience. These files will be viewable and downloadable by your apps users. Pro Tip: if you want to restrict access to your PDF, you can password-protect PDFs using Adobe before uploading the document.
To upload a PDF doc, follow these steps:
- Click the + Add to List button at the top right menu, and choose "Document".
- Select your file, or click-and-drag a file onto the upload area. Pro Tip: to bulk upload multiple files at once, press and hold the Command (⌘) key (Mac) or CTRL (Windows) on your keyboard and select all the items you want to upload, while continuing to hold the command or control key. Then click on 'upload' or drag-and-drop your files onto the file upload area.
- Wait for the document(s) to upload, and voila!
Uploading Word documents
To share Word documents with your team, follow the same steps as adding PDFs.
Uploading Excel spreadsheets
There are two ways that you can upload and use spreadsheets within Yapp:
- Share a spreadsheet as a viewable resource on a documents page
- Upload spreadsheets, such as contact databases and people directories as People pages with user profiles
To upload an excel spreadsheet as a viewable document instead of a people page, follow the same steps as adding PDFs.
Linking to external resources
To create a one-stop mobile hub for your team we suggest linking to important external resources such as your website, intranet, or event registration page. This makes it easy for app users to access what they're looking for in one click.
Here's how to link to other site pages and resources:
- Click the + Add to List button at the top right menu, and choose "Link".
- Copy/paste the URL of your resource into the website URL box and click "Enter".
- Wait for the link Title and Summary to be populated or type in your own custom page title and summary (if it renders blank, or for a better visual experience).
Some examples of resources our customers frequently link to include:
- Google Drive or MS Teams docs
- Website pages or employee intranet
- Event registration landing pages
- Recent blog posts or help articles
- Team training resources and policies
Adding Rich Text content
Like our stand-alone Rich Text page, you can create rich text content as pages alongside your Documents or resources. Here's how to do just that:
- Click the + Add to List button at the top right menu, and choose "Rich Text".
- Type in your page title and summary.
- Enter your rich text including hyperlinks, images, videos, text, and call-to-action buttons in the content area below the summary.
Editing a document's name or uploading a new version
From the right navigation menu, you can click on the three dot (...) menu next to your document to open the Edit Document screen. Here, you can:
- Change the documents name
- Upload a new version of the document
- Download the original file
Editing, Deleting, and Moving resources already added to a page
If you already have resources listed on an existing Documents page, you can move those files to a folder on that Documents page. Note: currently, you cannot move files from one documents page to another; only within the documents page it's listed on.
Moving your resources
From the right navigation menu, click on the three dot (...) menu next to your document to open the settings, then click Move to Folder. Select the folder that you want to move the file to, or create a new folder upon moving the file.
Editing document file names
From the right navigation menu, click on the three dot (...) menu next to your document to open the settings, then click Edit. Rename the file accordingly.
Removing docs & resources
To remove resources from your Documents page, click on the three dot (...) menu next to your document to open the settings, then click Remove.
Folders on the Documents page
Adding a new folder is as simple as these two steps:
- Click the + Add to List button at the top right menu, and choose "Folder".
- Type a name for the folder and click the "Save Folder" button.
How to move an item into or out of a folder
- From the sidebar, click the three dot (...) button for the item you want to move.
- In the folder tree that is displayed, select the folder you want to move the item to (or create a new folder).
- Click the "Move to Folder" button.
Limitations of Nested Folders
The maximum depth of nested folder currently allowed is 3. If you think that you have a use case requiring more than that, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.